About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

12.17.2005

Christmas Present Disaster

Warning to loved ones: Spoiler Alert Re: Your Christmas Gift

I was all excited that, after tracking the package all week, the calendars I had ordered were delivered today. We have a crazy weekend hosting a party tomorrow, then overnight guests Sunday, so the earliest I could lovingly wrap and mail our gifts out would be Monday, cutting it close but not so close that I would have to pay premium postage.

When Paul picked up the box and brought it home, he was suspicious of its lightness. Shouldn't 9 calendars weigh more than 1.0 pounds? I opened it--and it was only one calendar--somebody else's! I was SOOO PISSED!

No customer service contact info was in the paperwork, so I went to turn on the computer and find it online. While waiting for it to start up, I noticed the paperwork had a different order#, 2 digits away from mine, plus the rightful recipient's contact info, including email and phone number. She lives in El Cajon, CA! I was just flabbergasted that they could fail to notice the completely non-matching zip codes, at least!

So I call the number, wait on hold for a few minutes, and.........eventually get directed to an answering machine! This really didn't look good. I didn't know what else to do so I left my number along with a request to either fix it and send it overnight or give me my money back. Not trusting they would get the message, I also sent them an email.

Then I thought, hmmm, maybe Lisa in California got my calendars, and we can just send them to each other and be done with it. I should call. As it turns out, she got 10 calendars that should have gone to yet another family, in Maryland! Who, by the way, she has tried to contact via email and hasn't heard back from. Arrrrgh. Did I mention I was pissed? Ain't no way my family members and other loved ones are gonna get these in time for Christmas.

The tech guy did call back half and hour later, though, offered to reprint them and send them directly to my recipients if I just email him their addresses. So I did that and requested that they reply and confirm that they're really going to do this.

I still feel very uneasy, given that this is the beginning of the weekend, and the last weekend before Christmas, as it happens, and I won't even know they got the message until at least Monday. And if they don't get it together, your presents won't be there in time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, darling, we know you are thinking of us. We will be even more excited when they arrive. Love, Mom

Brünhilde Wunderfrau said...

You poor darling! :( That is so frustrating.

The good news is that even if we HAD gotten your gifts on time, we wouldn't have been able to use them until 2006 anyway! So really, this whole experience just gives us less of an angst-filled wait before we can hang up you gorgeous lovebirds on our wall. :)

Anyway, regardless, we love you both and will adore ANY gift you are thoughtful enough to send, whenever it may arrive.

XO Can't wait to see you!! Yay!! You're going to LOVE your Christmas and Birthday gifts!!

Darcy