About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

6.21.2005

"You've Got Sense!"


David Sedaris was in town yesterday promoting a new book, and since I didn't have to work, I was able to go to Joseph-Beth Books at Legacy Village to see him on his book tour. It was supposed to start at 7:00, but I heard he usually works the crowd for about an hour beforehand so I showed up at 6, carrying my copy of his book Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim that I bought in Milwaukee last year while visiting Darcy.

The fifty or so chairs were long-since filled (later I heard they were gone by 5) and about 100 or so people were milling around, many holding their copies of Sedaris books for signing. Booksellers were writing our names on post-its to stick on our title pages to make it easier for him to personalize them. The official signing wouldn't start until after his talk was over. I walked around for a bit to save my foot from standing >2 solid hours. At 6:20 he showed up, a slight little man in a white shirt with khakis and a tie with tiny pink flowers. He stuck aroung the seated people at first, signing some of their books, sometimes handling money. This struck me as unfair--not only did those people get to sit down the whole time, they got first class access, while we in coach could only stand and watch. That is, if no one taller than 5'6" was standing in front of us blocking our view.

I had brought my camera, hoping to maybe get a pic with him, or at least of him. The MC announced there would be no photography, not even cell phone cameras, because David would rather have a root canal than be photographed. That is so in character for him, I should have known better.

He started working the standing crowd, and finally came to a stop about 5 feet from me, saying, "I will sign anybody's book right now for 5 bucks." I didn't have to think twice--out came the wallet. When it came my turn, he read my post-it, asking, "Is it KaRIN?" I didn't correct him, giving him mental points for at least knowing it was different from "Care-en." While he's drawing a face in my book, he says, "That's one thing I like about you, KaRIN. You've got sense!" I heartily agreed. I think it was the best $5.oo I've spent in a long time.

1 comment:

Brünhilde Wunderfrau said...

I adore David Sedaris! I was a late bloomer in warming up to him, because when his "Me Talk Pretty One Day" came out, I literally thought it was some weird and depressing autobiographical thing about speech problems. Man, was I wrong! I still think "Jesus Shaves" is the damn funniest thing I've ever read. I can't wait to read more of him!

Darcy :)