About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

7.02.2005

Technical Difficulties

This week I've learned that I have a very low irritation threshhhold when it comes to malfunctioning technology. Well, actually I already knew that, it was just more forceably brought to my attention. For months, our DSL connection has been finicky and unpredictable, disconnecting on a whim, sometimes several times a day, often freezing and necessitating restarting the computer. Now, I know it isn't supposed to be this way, but you do sort of get used to it.

Well, this past Tuesday, I had left the computer on while leaving the room to do something else. A thunderstorm came through, and I didn't think about the (still plugged in and connected) computer until after a thunderclap that sounded so loud and close it was scary. We didn't lose power or anything, but I heard the telltale error squeal of a lost connection. I shut down the computer as usual and thought nothing further of it.

Unfortunately, the modem (3 years old) only showed the power light and never connected again. I called the DSL tech support line. After a check of our phone line showed nothing wrong, I ordered a new modem, thinking, Oh, they do wear out eventually, and this ought to solve the problem. I even paid extra for next business day delivery.

Well, the new modem came yesterday. I set it up, turned everything on, and--still no connection. Suddenly, the room seemed unbearably hot. I was muttering the phrase "What a pain in the ass!" with alarming frequency. Paul came in to help, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the ethernet card. We tried different ethernet cables. No difference.

At this time, a DSL tech support guy called, having tried to ping our modem. Perfect timing, I thought. He was really helpful. After eliminating every other possibility, we concluded the ethernet card must be bad. Paul opened the computer only to discover that there was no separate ethernet card, it was all part of the main motherboard. So much for running to Best Buy for a spare part.

Luckily, I found the computer's receipt from Best Buy and 3-year In-Home Service Contract we had sprung $200.00 for, which still has another year+ on it. I called the number, and it was like being in the First Class ticket line at the Airport. Only the Little People have to haul their computers out to the store (which then have to be shipped to an authorized repair facility and shipped back) and wait about 2 weeks to have a functioning machine again. Not us! I did some troubleshooting with this guy, too, reconfirming the bad ethernet card diagnosis. He says they will order the part, then when the part comes in, a serviceman will call to make an appointment to come to our home and install a new motherboard, all at no charge, probably sometime this coming week.

Even though we still can't get online at home (I'm typing this in the library), I just feel better knowing what the problem is and having done what it takes to fix it. I must say, this involuntary internet holiday hasn't exactly been a bad thing. I've been spending a lot more time practicing and reading. I think this means a cutback in Idiot Box time is called for.

No comments: