About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

8.14.2006

Day 7--Points South + Bonus Pictures

Technical note: As you know, I am one of the slowest writers on the planet. It is now actually Aug 22. I am still backdating these so I don't have to keep saying, "and the Sunday before last, we did such-and-such." Last night, Mom emailed me her pics from the trip. Great photos, by the way, Mom! My intention was to re-edit my previous entries and insert them into the appropriate places in the narrative, but the Blogger photo-uploading software is (surprise) not cooperating. It did, however, deign to let me add 10 of them to today's entry and no more. Maybe 10 is the limit? Anyway, here are some, mostly from the 8/12 family party and the next day.

Here's a really nice one of Mom, Paul, and me on Day 1, right after our first lunch together in Sausalito: At the family party with Aunt Barb
Mike, Uncle Jack, Jill
Rob and Alex
Eric and Rusty
E & R enjoying Rusty's B-day gift from us--Scrabble-themed mugs and wine charms!

On Sunday (our final day), we spent the day with Mom & Ron driving from San Jose to points south, including a stop in Carmel for lunch. It was a lot chillier than I expected close to the coast. We were at this lovely little Italian trattoria and sat on the patio. Our waiter turned on the outdoor heater, which was needed! Mom took this pic of us across the table.

Now I have to tell you a funny story here. When the sun came out and shone on my hair, Mom asked me with bemusement if that was a silver streak she saw in my bangs. I'd never noticed it, so I said I didn't think so. Paul and Ron said they could see it, too, so I insisted on checking it out in a hand mirror.

I wasn't freaked out or anything--actually, I thought it was sort of cool. I have noticed a lighter-colored area there, but in the incandescent light of the bathroom, it just looks like a lighter-colored variant in my mix of (natural) dark blonde shades. But in the sunlight, it had a definite silvery cast. We could see a few other little streaks in the sides, mostly in under-layers. You should have seen us parting my hair in different places, holding up the mirror, and exclaiming delightedly.

A woman watching us from the window inside was pantomiming what we were doing and shaking her head with a dismayed expression. I caught her eye and enunciated exaggeratedly, "But I like it!" Clearly she didn't believe me.

We did a little window shopping before getting back in the car to drive along the coastline, including the scenic 17 mile drive at Pebble Beach. In the late afternoon we turned around to head back to San Jose to make a cameo at Rusty's 40th birthday party at Eric & Rusty's.

The Birthday Boy
"Oh, it'll be a mid-afternoon party. We're not going to feed them or anything. Just some chips and salsa and birthday cake." Famous last words.
With Eric and Rusty's dad, Al
Because of the extra pain-in-the-butt security measures, ban on liquids, etc, we arrived at the airport 3 hours before our flight left. Which was fine--it was kind of nice to have a little time to just sit and read. It was a red-eye--we got in at 7 am, went home and slept until noon. I didn't feel too bad after that, though Paul was a little discombobolated. All in all, a great vacation and we had a fabulous time!

1 comment:

Brünhilde Wunderfrau said...

Karin - loved the pics!

As for the grey/silver hair...you're lucky you're naturally blonde, because grey/silver shows up a LOT more noticeably in brunette hair. I have noticed probably 2 or 3 rogue WHITE hairs - they're so coarse and thick, they feel almost plastic! I just plucked them when I saw them. David says everyone gets the occasional rogue hairs - he gets coarse curly black ones around his temples.

Your pictures are so festive - sounds like you have been having a great time! Hope all is well with you.

XO Darcy