About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

3.08.2008

"Spring" Break

I just finished my eighth essay and quiz for English, so at long last feel entitled to enjoy a well-deserved (and much needed) spring break for an entire week. I've been using this blog as a reward every time I finish one, but last week I was just so sick of writing. I felt as mentally constipated as if I had eaten nothing but white bread for a month, metaphorically speaking. Monday I had a really hard test in accounting that literally made my brain ache afterwards. I am so ready for a break!

So here I am, sitting at home on this early March day, listening to the sweet strains of someone's snow blower....or is it the wheels of their subcompact spinning in futility, as they attempt to drive down our impassable street? You see, we are in the middle of a blizzard, the worst snowstorm Cleveland has seen in 15 years (so I hear). We have at least a foot of snow on the ground, with drifts of up to three feet, and it's not supposed to stop until sometime late tonight. Winter is getting really old. It doesn't help that this is the third (and worst) storm we've had in a space of 12 days.

Needless to say, I didn't have to go to work this morning. I don't even have my Stages gig tonight--the restaurant is closed because the Cleveland Playhouse canceled its performances tonight. The whole world is closed today--even the libraries and banks!

Wanna see our lovely weather warning?

HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON
HOURS...WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES. SNOWFALL RATES IN
HEAVIER SNOW BANDS WILL CONTINUE TO APPROACH AN INCH PER HOUR.
WINDS GUSTING TO 30 MPH AT TIMES WILL CAUSE VISIBILITIES TO DROP
BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE ALONG WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND
DRIFTING OF SNOW. THIS...IN COMBINATION WITH ROADS THAT HAVE NOT
BEEN PLOWED WILL MAKE FOR NEAR IMPASSABLE CONDITIONS.

I went outside the front of our house to take a couple of pictures. Here's the view down our street:

I am so glad Paul canceled his classes today, and neither of us has to drive anywhere. Even the SUVs are sliding and fishtailing all over the place.

Here's the front of our house. That's Tom on the left. He may be shoveling, but I wouldn't dream of bothering until it's all over.


So I've lost a day's pay today. It doesn't really bother me. I have no control over it, and sometimes life is out of your control. It's times like this that I am so glad we live close to everything. We live within 2 miles of 3 grocery stores, and 3 miles from church. I may need to walk to church tomorrow! Fortunately, yesterday I had the foresight to stop at the Food Co-Op to pick up a few ingredients for broccoli macaroni and cheese so we can eat well tonight without having to go anywhere. Stay warm, everyone!

2 comments:

Brünhilde Wunderfrau said...

So nice that you and Paul could stay cozy together in all the snow! :) Hope you're still warm and well. XO

Anonymous said...

While Winter lingers in Cleveland, we tasted Summer in San Jose: after a week of undiluted sunshine, we touched 80 on Sunday. I'm sure that you'll love it when Spring finally takes hold!