About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

7.18.2007

You Forget a Lot of Math in 26 Years

I've spent the last week
  • futzing around the Tri-C website gathering information--how to apply, assessment test information, class schedules, etc
  • sleeping on this some more and finally deciding that, yes, I really do want to do this, not just think about doing it
  • realizing that, though I was pretty good at math at age 16, I haven't taken a math class since, and, boy, have I forgotten everything I don't use in my everyday life.
  • buying The Complete Idiot's Guide to Algebra and reviewing the first 14 chapters, filling up pages of legal-size paper working out problems and mostly understanding it at least as well as I did before.
I need to take the math assessment test for placement since I never took math in college and I will be totally lost in my accounting classes if I don't know this stuff. I'm supposed to take a math class at the Intermediate Algebra level or above during my first semester. Last week I looked at the sample assessment test questions online. I aced the basic calculation section (basics, fractions, decimals, easy geometry, etc.) but even the "beginning" algebra questions stumped me.

What a difference a few hours of concentrated attention make, especially with a good guidebook that explains it in everyday English with a bit of humor thrown in. I now remember how to do things like graph a linear equation, factor a polynomial, and solve a quadratic inequality. When I have the explanation in front of me, I tend to do very well on the practice problems. My mistakes tend to be arithmetic oversights, like forgetting that one of the numbers was negative, and I am understanding it well enough to realize where I made the mistake.

I think I am well into the Algebra 2 part of the book (only 5 chapters to go) and after I finish the book, I just need to practice. I need to take the test soon (like next week) so I can register for my classes and get all of the pre-enrollment tasks done before we leave for Europe. Classes start the week of August 27 so I'll be hitting the ground running.

Today I went down to the Admissions Office and officially applied. Also, I sent a transcript request form to CIM so they can send Tri-C my transcript from my Bachelor of Music degree. At least the credit from my English class should transfer, although I don't think anything else will.

No comments: