About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

2.04.2008

4-Eyes 4-Ever

I think my contact lens-wearing days are over. I opened and put in a new pair 3 weeks ago (January 11). Usually they're really comfortable for the first half of the month, but that day my eyes must have been especially dry or something. Add to that the fact that, when wearing my contacts, reading glasses are no longer optional.

Advantages to Contacts
  • Vanity
  • Unencumbered peripheral vision
  • No fingerprints, sweat, grime, fogging up
Disadvantages to Contacts

  • Dry eyes are uncomfortable
  • Dryness results in sometimes blurry vision, even distance vision
  • Pain in the butt factor: Cleaning, storage, making sure I always have supplies on me, etc.
  • I have to wear reading glasses. In other words, I can't see! Since, oh, I don't know, 90% of what I do involves close focus, why should I stick something in my eye if I'm going to be wearing glasses anyway?
Hmm. It seems the disadvantages significantly outweigh the advantages. I didn't even make it through the whole day on January 11 with the contacts. At about 3 pm, I took them out and didn't put them back in until this morning. They didn't even last an hour today--too uncomfortable. I don't think I'll even be wearing them for special occasions.

It's time to embrace my status as a proudly out, visually-challenged person. :-) I'm blind! I'm middle aged! I'm a nerd! Why present a false facade of normality anymore? Besides, I think these glasses are cute.

1 comment:

Brünhilde Wunderfrau said...

"...why should I stick something in my eye if I'm going to be wearing glasses anyway?"

Now *that's* an excellent question! Besides, you look absolutely smashing in those cute frames! 8^D