About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

4.28.2005

Hotness=Self Esteem?

Paul and I were talking about an NPR Fresh Air program featuring an interview with Nick Anderson, Pulitzer-winning political cartoonist. Boy, he tells it like it is! Example:

Panel 1: a soldier in Iraq in a bullet-ridden, dilapidated HumVee. Panel 2: A well-off American at home in a brand-new yellow Hummer with a "Support Our Troops" ribbon sticker on the back, exclaiming,"Look what I could afford with my tax refund!"

Another one: Bush is watching a procession of military caskets. He tells a little kid,"Their daddies just didn't know the right people."

It made me wince although I agree with the sentiment. Paul said they were just as merciless with Clinton, if not more, and the Republicans didn't complain about that, did they? And now their panties are in a twist. But Clinton got roasted for sleazy sex, etc, which wasn't exactly causing the country to to go hell in a handbasket.

And then I thought, why couldn't he have just found a healthy outlet for that? Why not take matters into his own hands, so to speak? But some people just need that validation from others hitting on them to feel self-worth, I guess, to the degree that they're willing to risk everything for it. Understandable. I used to be a little bit like that myself. In my teens and early twenties, some kind of male attention every day was vital to my sense of self-worth. I was often desperate for it. The though of appearing frumpy, unattractive, something other than sexy young thing sounded like a pass to Loserville.

But you know what? I've grown out of it! I still feel beautiful and attractive, but the fact that men aren't hitting on me right and left doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I much prefer it! I get everything I need at home as far as that. I don't need to go looking for it.

No comments: