About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

5.05.2005

Socks

It's funny, the articles of clothing that I most take for granted, socks, can put me in the worst mood when they're worn out/uncomfortable/falling down. I hate shopping for these things--they're utilitarian, (almost) no one sees them, and good ones are expensive. But I finally bit the bullet last week when I put on a favorite pair of socks and could feel the bare kitchen floor right through them. Lo and behold, there were 1" in diameter holes in the bottom of each one. That's it--off to Target I go.

I figured it would be easy to find a few pairs that complement my khakis and blue jeans, pairs that were soft and had extra padding on the bottoms. But I guess now that it's spring, they figure everyone wants to wear these thin little things in pastel colors that are shaped like a tube (no built-in heel). Don't most people walk any distance at all? I could just see them, migrating down into my shoes, causing a lovely blister-inducing crease on the bottoms of both feet in less than 5 minutes.

I finally found the "active wear" sock selections, where the socks have contoured heels, extra padding on the parts where shoes are most likely to rub, and moisture-wicking material. Now we're talking! But I had only 2 "color" choices--white and black. I guess they figure if you buy these, you only use them to work out in, so why should you care what they look like? I bought several pairs of black ones. Black goes with everything, and, I've decided, looks much better than a color that clashes oh-so-slightly with one's outfit.

I've been wearing them every day. I love how they hug my feet and how I never have to yank them up through the day.

1 comment:

Karinderella said...

That would be a great idea, if I could find men's socks in "small"--I've tried borrowing Paul's and the heels are way up my Achilles' tendon.