About Me

My photo
I'm a pianist, happily married. Socially progressive, chocolate lover, interested in the nature of reality, alternates between being a slacker and being a grind.

7.05.2005

Body Worlds

Yesterday we spent the 4th at the Great Lakes Science Center. We went to the BodyWorlds 2 exhibition, a bizarrely fascinating collection of real human bodies preserved by a process called plastination, and displayed in such a way that you could see all the muscles, systems, etc. as well as bones. Some of them were posed doing things like ice skating or spear throwing, to show how the muscles look different when stretched or flexed.

This is one of the things some people find controversial about it--it was part science, part art, and part sideshow. I, of course, have no trouble admitting to morbid fascination. I also felt awe, amazement, occasional ickiness, and even a sense of the holy. There were also a few animals--a horse, camel and rabbit. I couldn't help but notice how similar the basic building materials were for the humans and animals--only the form, size and shape varied. It seems undeniable to me that we all descended from the same common ancestors.

No comments: